Sunday, March 14, 2010

Not so plastic Bertrand


Stumbled upon (in the way that one does these days - this is the internet) a quote by Bertrand Russell. His is a name I'm ashamed to say that is familiar to me but I have no real idea about who he was, just a general impression that he was a philosopher.

I found some other quotes of his and was bowled over, he was clearly a very impressive thinker indeed and a cursory glance at wikipedia shows him to be a very impressive person too.

I'd be proud of a single one of those quotes if it had been an original thought of mine but what endears me the most is the number of them where he expresses doubt. What if I'm wrong? Perhaps I misunderstand... I must accomodate my own fallibility... in this regard I'm overjoyed to hear of a serious thinker that allows for such possibility.

One of the things that depresses me about the contemporary comment culture is the requirement to take a side. Hard. Are you a Climate Change Denier? Pro Choice? You want the terrorists to win? We're being served up life as binary and falling for the idea that we need to take a side and start firing salvoes. This is not a debate this is a way to calcify and entrench thought.

On pretty much any subject I'm a roiling mixture of half-formed ideas and supposition and the sooner I can admit it the better - lets face it I know jack shit and what's more the absolute conviction of the true believer is abhorrent whatever the fuck they believe in.

Bertrand Russell doesn't have a seminal novel or a greatest hits CD so if anybody can recommend me a good way to get to know more about his work please let me know.

2 comments:

Chandana said...

Hi,

Here's a blog that serves for your spiritual needs.

This blog has messages from the Holy Scriptures, taught by the Spirit of God.

These messages teach us how to have God in all the aspects of our lives and have God's rule over every matter:

www.holyoneofisrael-reconciliation.blogspot.com

Have a blessed reading.

God bless you.

ba said...

^She makes a good point!