Saturday, April 14, 2007

In your face, brainiac!

It concerns me that the massive upsurge in support for ID and, to a slightly lesser extent, creationism shows no sign of abating. I can see these sort of places popping up in the UK very soon (if they haven't already). The media isn't helping much as it gives this patent nonsense a great deal of airtime and respect. I don't know whether or not you've seen Mike Judge's film, Idiocracy, but it certainly feels as though the yahoo is winning the war of superstition vs reason.

What really concerns me is that, unlike the US, the UK does not separate state from church, and Tony Blair is actively backing (i.e. giving tax revenue to support) religious schools that teach creationism as fact. No wonder the number of students taking sciences at university is falling so dramatically.

Tony has said that he thinks all sides of the argument should have an equal voice. So Tony, you think I should give as much credence and weight to some stories written many, many years after the actual events were alleged to have occurred by many different people with no evidence as I should to robust theories that are observable, repeatable, verifiable and that have withstood peer review by thousands of other professionals? Why should I do that? It makes no logical sense.

Just because a large number of people believe something that does not make it true.

3 comments:

Sysm said...

Idiocracy just came in the mail today. Whoo/Hoo Netflix.

Tits McGee said...

I was in physical pain after watching Idiocracy because I was laughing so fucking hard through the entire thing, and also crying inside a little, because that vision of the future is not so unbelievable, at the rate we're going.

Anonymous said...

I watched Idiocracy in the hotel I stayed at in Edmonton when I went for my job interview.

Yet again Fox mishandles a Mike Judge film!