Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What's in a name?

A Catholic school in Australia is refusing to enrol a five-year-old unless he changes his surname.

St Peter Apostle School in Melbourne suggested that Max Hell would only be admitted if he used his mother's maiden name. His father initially agreed. But when it came to signing the enrolment forms Alex Hall decided to defend his family's name.

Mr Hell, a Catholic father of three commented "So what if I've got a name like Hell? That's my family history and my name." Mr Hell, 45, who is of Austrian heritage, said his surname meant light or bright in German. "It's 2007, not 1407 - it's not the Dark Ages."

"I've had enough. I was ridiculed as a child... I want him to be accepted as Max Hell, but obviously he's not," he said.

Yeah, well it's all very well laughing at the school authorities now - but what if this kid does indeed turn out to be some form of anti-christ eh? Who'll be laughing then?

The school board also expressed some concern over a pupil from Woolamaloo, Bruce 'Schism between the Councils of Ephesus and Chalcedon' Bailey.

3 comments:

Tits McGee said...

I saw this story, too, Chris and was just flabbergasted. What the hell?!

Chris said...

I think we need clarity here - perhaps the school could provide a definitive list of names that are unacceptable.

Boys
Damien
Judas
Ian Paisley Jnr
Hell
Dang
Herod
El Diablo


Girls
Elvira
Harlot
Chesty La Rue
Mata Hari
Hilary

ba said...

I went to high school with a guy named Jesse. He was originally named Jesus, but the catholic grade school changed his name on all their forms, and on his social security card, because white catholics don't name their kids Jesus.