Thursday, September 6, 2007

Richard Dawkins Reviews GOD IS NOT GREAT by Christopher Hitchens



The next chapter, “Religion Kills”, benefits from Hitchens’s experience as a war correspondent. (Others have likened him to Evelyn Waugh or Graham Greene, but my own comparison is with Waugh’s intrepid rogue Basil Seal, who couldn’t keep out of trouble or away from the world’s trouble spots.) Publicly challenged by an American preacher to admit that, if approached by a gang of men in a dark alley, he would be reassured to learn that they had emerged from a prayer meeting, Hitchens’s return volley was unplayable:


Just to stay within the letter “B”, I have actually had that experience in Belfast, Beirut, Bombay, Belgrade, Bethlehem and Baghdad. In each case I can say absolutely, and can give my reasons, why I would feel immediately threatened if I thought that the group of men approaching me in the dusk were coming from a religious observance.

3 comments:

Sysm said...

I'm five deep on the waiting list at my local library.

Secret heathens in suburbia.

Whoo-hoo.

ba said...

Or the religious folk are repeatedly checking it out to keep it out of your evil hands.

Tits McGee said...

Mmm...five deep.