Thursday, May 24, 2007

Parental Advisory

This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered.

Wording taken verbatim from the sticker designed by the Cobb County ("A community with a passion for learning") School District, Georgia.

As of December 19th, 2006, the courts have upheld the initial ruling that the sticker was unconstitutional. The district is now on double-secret probation: (is it me or does 'double-secret probation' sound like something a seven year old made up?) it can't do anything that similarly undermines the teaching of evolution or that similarly supports the presence and activities of supernatural entities. Details can be had at the National Center for Science Education.

I've always been a huge fan of the people who when presented with an oaf, a bully, or a ridiculous belief don't start foaming at the mouth and raising their voice. Rather they use wit, wisdom and panache. In the battle of wits a calmly made point delivered with a withering smile can be as devastating as a stiletto in the kidneys.

So kudos to this fella for making a supporting range of stickers for textbook usage. Here are a couple of favourites, I urge you to take a look at the others.

5 comments:

dizzy von damn! said...

these stickers are awesome.

Philip. said...

To me evolution is a fact!


Philip
www.disabled-help.org

Anonymous said...

I love hearing religious types come up with the old "it's just a theory" statement over and over again.

First, I used to try and explain what theory meant in a scientific context.

Now I just sigh, roll my eyes and walk away.






Then I change my mind, come running back in the room and beat them to death very slowly with a teaspoon.

Tits McGee said...

You're my kind of guy, Bob.

I've seen these stickers before and they are fucking hilarious, but honestly, this whole topic just makes my head explode. I can't believe we are forced to stoop to this level of discourse just because willfully ignorant religious freaks manage to get elected to public office.

It makes me want to bite and claw. And not in the nice way.

Sysm said...

Honestly, I'm not THAT troubled by shit like this. If the Religious Right fights tooth and claw, and they get a sticker? I can live with that.

Because the truth of it is, the kids in these families are hearing all of this shit at home and in the church. And if the schools give completely insincere lip service to respecting their beliefs, then it's a sop.

The parents are people who choose to be ignorant. We have to chose our battles carefully. I'd rather have their kids an an environment where they'll learn something true, rather than be home schooled because the schools are run by pagans.

And the teachers can get to the teaching.