Saturday, May 12, 2007

top 5 links i've been saving up for my fellow atheists

1) This depresses the hell out of me. I was raised in the Episcopal church. At the age of 12, when I was set to start my confirmation classes, I came to the conclusion that not only did I not agree with all or even most of the tenets of the faith, but I just flat-out didn't believe in god. So that was it for me and church. Nevertheless, I have a fondness, still, for the Anglican church and its rituals and was thrilled when Gene Robinson was named bishop of New Hampshire (live free or die, baby!). I hate to see this divide in the church, and will be interested to see how it all plays itself out.

2) This article cheers me a bit, however. I was horrified (though not surprised) that Huckabee, Tancredo, and Brownback (honestly, I can't even type his name without giggling) said during the GOP debate that they didn't believe in evolution, but was delighted to see the split being exposed in the Republican party between the crazy, religious, anti-science nutjobs and the white guys who just really, really love money.

3) Mitt Romney says Battlefield Earth is his favorite book. Umm...okay. I really don't think there's anything I can say about this that Jon Swift didn't already say more hilariously than I possibly could.

4) But in that same post, he also linked to this site, which has permanently changed the way I think about Mormons. I mean, seriously, your church dictates what kind of underpants you wear? WTF?

5) Finally, this is just unspeakably hilarious, and I insist that you go watch the debate here right now. (Thanks to Slappy for bringing this to my attention.)

4 comments:

Chris said...

I can't believe I waded through minutes of video to see their irefutable proof, sheesh.

Turn the record over guys.

I'd like to think that when dingbats like Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron start speaking Archbishops and priests all over the world are screaming "No! those are idiots, they don't speak for me, it's a stupid argument"

Chris said...

I saw that NYTimes piece a while ago.

"For some conservatives, accepting Darwin undercuts religious faith and produces an amoral, materialistic worldview"

God forbid that conservatives ended up with a materialistic worldview.

Sysm said...

Mitt is sensationally good looking. And while he is eminently qualified to be President, the evangelicals consider the Church of Latter-Day Saints to be a "Stronghold of Satan." Ha!

Gulianni has donated to Planned Parenthood.

McCain can't get any traction. Pandering to the Evangelicals is back-firing.

And Brownback, Tancredo and Huckabee are successfully alienating moderate voters who resent the hold that the Religious Right holds over the party.

It's be foolish to get optimistic this early. But these asshats really look like they're trying to give it away.

Tits McGee said...

I know. It's fabulous.